TOEFL iBT( New Generation TOEFL)
A new Internet based version of the TOEFL test will commence in Sept 2005. It will be introduced in the USA in Sept 2005 followed by Canada, France, Germany and Italy in Oct 2005. It will be offered in the rest of the world in 2006. TOEFL iBT tests all four language skills that are important for effective communication skills namely Speaking, Listening, Reading & Writing. Academically successful students need to combine all the four language skills in the class room. Integrated tasks in the new test will help learners build the skills and confidence needed to communicate effectively.
The new integrated tasks will ask test takers to
• read, listen and then speak in response to a question
• listen and then speak in response to a question
• read, listen and then write in response to a question
The New TOEFL test Includes
Introduction of additional native English accents
• Time: 60 – 90 minutes
• Score scale: 0 – 30
This section includes six tasks and test takers wear headphones and speak into a microphone when they respond. Test takers can take notes throughout the test.
Speaking 6 tasks
• 2 independent tasks – express an opinion on a familiar topic
• 4 integrated tasks – speak based on what is read and heard
Up to 30 seconds to prepare the response Up to 1 minute to respond Reading
• 3 – 5 passages from academic texts• Approximately 700 words long
• Time: 60 -100 minutes
• 1 Integrated task- write based on what is read and heard.
• 1 independent task-support an opinion on a topic.
No grammar is evaluated in Speaking and Writing responses.
Score Scale: Scores from the new TOEFL test will provide information about performance in the four skill areas students needed for success in an academic environment. Each module is assessed on a scale of 0-30 with total test being assessed on a scale of 0-120.Score reports will provide better information than ever about an individual’s readiness to participate and succeed in academic studies in an English speaking environment.
TOEFL iBT SCORE IS VALID FOR 2 YEARS